View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Hi Lawrence. Welcome to FTE. I, as well as most readers of this forum, are well aware of this test, and being a Detroiter, it is over a year ago that I saw that exact engine being torn down at the Detroit Auto Show in January, 2011. The pieces did look pretty darn good.

My concern is that no amount of short term torture testing, no matter how brutal it seems, can duplicate the time and variety factor of thousands of engines (or any other car parts) out in the field, in actual use. Stuff happens in the real world, like spark plug blowouts in the 2V mod motors, spark plugs sticking in the 3V mod motors, leaking head or intake manifold gaskets, etc. All those engines were thoroughly tested as well.

And with the EcoBoost having the turbos layered on top of the other engine systems, we legitimately need, in my opinion, a number of years before the real world reliability of the EcoBoost can be really proved to me and other skeptics like me. I love new technology and hope the EcoBoost is a wild success, and as time goes on, it continues to look promising, but there has not been enough time yet, IMO. I am also concerned about the intake valve deposit problems that affect all direct injection engines to some degree over the long term. (Do a google search and you can see how bad the VW/Audi problems have been.)

Thanks for joining the forum; hope we see your posts in the future.

George
So, in a few more years, you have decided that the EB is good............. but that is EB 1.5. Now, they will be on EB 3.0. Thus, it has not proven itself and will need multiple years to do so as there are so many changes vs 1.5.

At what point is an engine proven? Is a manufacturer supposed to not come out with new engines?? Are they supposed to keep them the same for decades, to satisfy some peoples definition of "proven?"

With EPA requirements advancing to rapidly, engine technology will change and upgrade rapidly. At some point, you have to buy something based on faith.

Or, do you "assume" that because 2009 EB's are going great at 3-5 years (they are 1.0's), that they will all be reliable. After all, they will all be twin turbo V6's??

I'm sorry, I just don't get this type of statement. EB V6's have been out since the 2009MY. We are now coming up on the 2013MY. 4 years is not enough?? What is??