View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Hooda
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 SPEED REAR AXLE-ANYONE INTERESTED??

Howdy Folks! This idea ha been floatin' around in that grey matter between my ears for awhile now, so I figured it was about time to put it out there.

Here's the story: My Dad owned a residential excavating company for my whole life, and back when I was a kid and his operation was still small, he had 3 old single axle dump trucks. He still has a '55 F600? well, a '55 single axle dump truck, that I spent many hours in on the passenger side of the bench seat in the late'60s and early '70s. Anyway, It has a 2 speed rear axle.

Now, owning a 2001 f250 CC 4x4 with 3.73 gearing, I can see the need for 2 things: 3.54:1 rear end ratio for most highway driving, and 4.10:1, 4.30:1, or 4.56:1 ratio for towing and 4x4 use.

My idea is to take the original design of the 2 speed part of the rear differential on this old truck, and make a prototype that is scaled down to the size of a f250 or f350 rear diff, like is currently found underneath a modern ('99-up superduty) truck.

The reason for this is that 3.73:1 is CLEARLY a compromise ratio, especially for a v10 powered truck. I'm thinking that I would like 3.54:1 for hiway, and 4.30 for towing, or whenever the need to lock 'em in comes up.

So, the question is: Is there any interest out there for such a setup? or does one already exist that is small enough to fit under a 3//4 ton or 1 ton truck? If I knew that I could sell a few, I would go ahead and do the research necessary to produce a quantity of them. With the diversity of off the shelf parts currently available, I can see this being accomplished with relatively few unique parts needing to be made, and those unique parts never needing service. Please feel free to comment on the idea, or point me in the right direction if someone is already doing this. Thanks.