View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Roger1960
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
Are you doing something that requires you to change your fuel pump more than once in the lifetime of the van? If so, then I agree, you would like to provide an easy access to it. Otherwise, I don't think you need to cut a hole in the floor just to do something that shouldn't be needed very often.
OK so I really don't ever want to change a fuel pump, ever. But with that said, sometimes fuel pumps do fail, and when they do fail I kind of like the idea of popping off an access panel and swapping one out rather than having to hassle with draining the fuel, dropping the tank and the rest of the task.

Another advantage I see is that with the hole in the floor, a pump swap could be done on the side of the road rather than having to tow the truck elsewhere.

I don't have any personal experience with having a fuel pump fail, but my ex- wife had one fail on her Sable around 120k miles, so I suspect that as a person that tends to hold on to cars for a long time 2 fuel pump replacements are not out of the question in the life of a vehicle. Besides if one went to the trouble of making an access panel and then never had to use it, that might be better than having the opportunity to make the job quick and almost painless the second time and not doing it when you had the chance.

I also like the idea of having a mini tank fed by a low pressure pump external to the main tank where you house the high pressure fuel pump.

Heck, if the design were up to me I would make cars easy to fix anything that broke. Think about big trucks, when you open the hood, the fenders go with it and all the components are easily accessed