Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Truck wants me to change its oil 1100 miles early?

So, for the past few days my 2011 5.0L F-150 has been informing me everytime I start it up that it needs an oil change. (Via LCD 4.2in Screen)

So, this morning I went outside and checked my oil and according to Fords own literature in the owners manual my truck's oil level is acceptable, my tailpipes are not sooty at all...So I've pretty much ruled out that its burning oil...Next I checked under the truck on the driveway and there's not a single droplet of oil there and I've also checked some of the components under the truck around where the Oil Drain is...Again, no sign's of a leak, so i've pretty much ruled that out as well.

My question is why in the hell does my truck want to me to change the oil so early? I generally change my oil every 3,000 miles which may be a waste as I'm told these newer trucks can comfortably go 5,000 miles between oil changes but it makes me feel a little better to change it earlier rather than later, I've only 1900 miles in since my last oil change though that's whats racking my brain...And I do use quality oil 50/50 synthetic blend 5W-20 Motocraft (as specified by Ford).

The only thing I can think of that would have any effect on it what so ever is that back in December I suffered a broken leg and over the course of the past few months whilst I've been recovering my truck has not always been driven on a daily basis as it normally is. However it was still driven often, at least once every couple of days.

But anyway, If this is happend to anyone else or if anyone has an idea of what could be causing it to want an early oil change let me know.

Thank you.