Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
pd59
New User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
85 F150 I6 need help w/ vacuum lines, choke, i.d.ing parts, etc.

I have an 85 F150 w/ a 300 I6. I have already swapped over to DSII. The carb is not a feedback. I need some help with several things.

For starters, I have already ordered a new carb that is different from the one that is on the truck. New 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 F150 E150 4.9 300 1BBL Carb | eBay
That is the link for the exact one. It is also a non-feedback, and it has the thermal choke. (I will get to that in a minute). Lets start with vacuum lines:
Name:  Gi3CE.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  54.1 KB
This photo shows the vacuum tree at the base of the carb. You can also see where someone plugged a hole with some epoxy putty. I'm guessing that was egr? I have a better shot of that. I need to know what the ports in the tree are for. The large vacuum line shown in the bottom left port goes into the brake booster. The other large port at the top on the body of the carb is where the PCV valve was plugged in.

Name:  QE9Kc.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  538.1 KB
This is the better shot of the plugged hole. There is another large hole open next to it, and when the truck is running, exhaust pours out of it. You can also see the PCV hose going into that port on the carb in the background.

Name:  AIrQx.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  35.7 KB
This is located on the firewall directly behind the carb. The hose shown goes somewhere down by the transmission.

That covers my vacuum line questions, on to mystery parts:
Name:  IuyAZ.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  49.6 KB
Here you can see some sort of linkage attached to the intake manifold. It extends down to the transmission somewhere. At the end on the right of the picture, where the bolt is sticking out, there are two holes. One has the bolt stuck in it, the other is to the left of the bolt. I have a better pic of that as well.

There is the better pic. You can see the hole to the left, and the one to the right with the bolt in it.

Here's another mystery hole in the exhaust manifold below the carb. I'm thinking maybe for the choke heat?

Random unused plug in the engine compartment. It connects to the alternator.

I'm pretty sure I have a rats nest going on here, and my factory vacuum diagram is of no use to me because I have converted to non-feedback and DSII. I am also concerned about the lack of an EGR, and that the old ports for it are closed shut. Furthermore, I plan on running the thermal choke setup, and I don't even know where to begin there. I also know the PCV system is not hooked up right. Here are some shots of it and the air cleaner:
Name:  Xa7db.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  60.5 KB

I know this is a lot to take in, but I could really use some help here. It is greatly appreciated. When the new carb comes in and I get it installed, I can take some new pics of it. Thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post: