Thread: 56 f500
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 56 kid
ok so im new to this me and my dad have talked about doing auto transport as he is now retired and we both love the classics i stumbled upon a 56 f500. so we have decided to put a 460 with a automatic in it but looking at suspension and drive axels just looking for ideas as to what would work as this will be a driver and will be hauling a 2 car trailer interior will be updated with air ride seats gps and some creature comforts while still retaining the factory dash, we would like to put in a air ride suspension with disk brakes all the way around it and would require new rims as well any input and ideas are always appreciated.
Howdy,

I would use a DANA 80 rear axle, front axle from a much newer medium duty truck, 19.5" wheels and tires etc.

There is a guy on here that has put a Cummins 6BT in a 56 F-600 and (I think) he used a 10 speed fuller and a Dana 80 rear axle.

I don't know what he used for the front axle or if he did disc brakes, but you will want new enough axles such that the current crop of disc brake mounting hardware will fit. Otherwise you'll fabricating it.

be sure to post pictures!

Regards,

Rick