View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spyderjohn
Thought I'd see who wanted to weigh in on this... I'm upgrading my 66' 352 slick to power steering and in doing that will be installing the double belt crank pulley.

Of course the two belt pulley that I have is a three bolt and the original was a 4 bolt. (and my pulley is just back from powder coat so I think I'll keep it.)

Sooo.... I will need to replace the original harmonic balancer. The question....
is there any benefit to buying an aftermarket balancer vs one from the pull yard and if so, can someone recommend a good quality aftermarket one?

thanks as always to the brain trust for always coming up with sage advice.

Jon in Atlanta.
I went through this about a year ago.... here is one of the problems that you face.... After market Pulleys quite often have the right number of bolt holes, but frequently the hole pattern is different. To get an aftermarket Balancer you will end up having to also purchase a matching pulley, I went with a polished aluminum Pulley. it was only $55.. many of the Dampers require replacement of all the pulleys for belt alignment sake.. which can run into the 4 digit pricing range if you want to dress it up.. Your best bet is to search the Dampers on Ebay, there are a few rebuilders that list on there they rebuild the old units with new rubber.... make sure that they do just that.. not just shotpeen it and paint it,,as some if not many do... Yard pulls??? well how long will it last.. there is a viscous rubber membrane between teh inner and outer, and if it has deteriorated it can separate and cause all sorts of hell and destruction on your system... so it is a real crap shoot... I opted for all new with the Warranties, that way if it does go wrong the manufacturer pays the bill or at least you have recourse.... Junk Yard PYP parts ohh too bad! I actually bought a nice damper, and then purchased a Polished Aluminum pulley, then had it drilled at a local machine shop to the proper specs. A bit more pricey, but it is balanced, and much lighter, which frees up Horsepower.