View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Marlinman10
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glow plug problems on 6.9

I'm new to the forums and need some help. I've read everything but still in the dark a bit. I have a 1987 f-250 with 6.9 diesel and it has 220,000 miles on it. It has the later version controller and relay on the rear of the intake. It hard to start when cold but starts right up when warm and runs great. First my glow light stays on for 3-4 seconds maybe, and then goes out when cold. I also hear what I believe is the relay clicking but not on every cold start. I've also seen the light come on for a sec when driving down the road in the last year or so. I had the IP and injectors done a couple of years ago and 3 or four GP's replaced. I'm not sure of the brand. Last year it was getting hard to start and a different mechanic replaced 3 or 4 GP and that last about 5000 miles. Once again not sure of the brand. I tested them today and found the front three on the right bank bad.
1. I thought I would replace all 8 GP's with Motorola ZD9 plugs.
2. Should I replace the relay and controller or first the plugs and give it a try?
3. I also have the bullet connecters.
5. I pray they come out ok.
6. The dealer wants $19.95 per for the plugs and $211.00 for the controller.
7.I can get the plug for $11.99 from the local AP store but they don't show the controller. I think I need to tell them a later year. Sorry for such a long post. Thank You