View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Kinda like a hot rod but it isn't hot.

Ok, I finally picked up a tranny for my cummins 6at and I'm heading down to the shop to work out some clutch details. The cummins has a chev bellhousing. It came from a UPS truck and was set up to replace the 292 chev six they were built with. This 6at was made in 1988 and UPS ran them for about 8 or 9 years until the drivers were sick of glow-plugging and the noise. They were pulled in the late 90's and replaced with gm v6 power. A bunch of the 6ats came on the market at that time. It's no powerhouse being only 210 cu in and 120 hp, but they work really well the way I use a truck. My 54 GMC has had one for about 10 years. I bought it from a friend who did the conversion. The jimmy has a th 400 auto but this time I'm gonna do it my way. The tranny is an sm465 4 spd from a '77 chev 3/4 ton 2wd and was behind a 454. I just need to do the research and find what clutch and presure plate and throw out bearing to use. Looks like the chev bellhousing on the cummins used a hydraulic clutch, which is sweet because so does the fridge. Does anyone know the dia of the fridge clutch mc? I've been told the slave has to have the same bore. Once I have the engine/tranny coupled, I'll pull the whole nose off the fridge and dig in. While the engine is out, I'll fix the floors and check out the front cab mounts. They seem ok, but that's the time to do any work in there. I guess I'll probably do this as a build thread, maybe even starting at the beginning with the rear end swap and front axle and spring work. When it's all done I will have done just as much work as some of the hot rod guys, but it will still have manual brakes and steering and will have to downshift going up a hill. Call me old school, it won't insult me..........

Attached Images