Thread: camshaft 351m
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearings "sealing" is the best way to describe it, and the only way I can get my head around why brand spanker bearings had worse oil pressure than the old ones, the clearance on the bearings being the issue and an HV pump did no help what so ever. More so worn in and matching the crank journal perfectly. Agree with you completely on the clearance's, as ultimately that is the defining restriction for oil pressure in an engine and why it usually is what determines a rebuild. Really what you are using an HV pump for is to allow for tolerances on the large side. I did no extra machining other than the shop grinding the crank to suit the bearings and from what I understand that is common (best??) practice and I was probably lucky the lifter bores were fine. Everything else just fell into line with the tolerances from my rebuild manual, so nothing special done there, so I cant say why it was tighter than most. Just remember you've been using HV pumps for a while and keep using them. You haven't swapped and changed to fix a problem so as long as you arent having problems with the dizzy drive it's a no issue really. Pressure is only related to volume as the restriction and relief allow it to be. My case shows that if the clearances aren't any good, a HV pump won't necessarily help. Putting an HV pump on a rebuilt engine and saying that is the reason it has great oil pressure for it's life is flawed as it may have been fine with the standard pump.
BUT I also recognise that if you re happy with the results and you are having no problems, why would you change? At the end of the day I went off one of the guru's of the 351C's, Jack Roush who raced a bucket load of them, as well as I guy who rebuilt them for powerboat racing, after trying to fix a low oil pressure problem with an HV pump that didnt work. You are putting them on because you believe you have to and i cant dispute that as it is your opinion. By the way what is the go with the double up posts?? did it to me and Tbear.