Thread: camshaft 351m
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As written earlier, I have a standard pump with an HP spring. My oil pressure line is at the rear of the block tee'd into the sender (theoretically) the lowest pressure in the block. very happy. When I rebuilt the block I plastigauged the crank and rods to check and they were fine (whatever they were allowed in the manual) as was the end float in the crank. Ultimately the problems I mentioned before didn't happen for you and as they didn't fail it's a hard point to argue.
I also would like a dollar for every rebuilt 351C in the aussie Street Machine mag that had an HV oil pump. I tried to get back oil pressure in a worn motor with a HV pump, but replaced the main bearings as well. Bad Idea. it was worse then when I started. I believe that it was because the old bearings were worn in and sealed better than the new bearings. I now have a HV pump with about 6 hours on it sealed up in the shed. May come in handy sometime. At the end of the day pressure isn't volume. All clearances being fine you will get the pressure that the relief valve in the pump lets you get. A HV pump does this with a larger geroter which puts more load on the drive pin but is still only pumping as much as he relief valve lets it..