Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericbc7
why in the world would you insist on doing the first oil change yourself? oh well good luck.
The answer is simple: I would never have an oil change done at a place where I can not watch that it is done, and that it is done correctly. The shop monkeys at the dealership are no better than those at places like Jiffy Lube.
Another reason is that by the time I drive to the dealer, wait there, and then go back, I can probably do 3-4 oil changes in my driveway while saving a few bucks. A next reason is that I will learn more about my truck while doing this right.
I will go with M1 5W-30. If I pay for fully synthetic at the dealer, what do you think the chances are that the min wage teen actually reads the work order and then grabs the correct oil hose, both happening at the same time or in short order? Very slim if you ask me, LOL. Sad but true. Read all the reports about dealers putting 5W-20 into EB's, and that's just from the dealers admitting to it, if you know what I mean. You probably get straight dino oil pumped into your engine 50% of the time, and nobody can prove it, and if you could somehow prove it, it would be called an "honest mistake", LOL. I know a guy who used to do oil changes at a dealer, the stories are actually funny (not so much for the customers though, LOL).

Originally Posted by ericbc7
Stupid in my opinion, let the dealer do it and keep them liable for problems.
When I do this myself, there won't be any reason to worry about problems. You are correct though, when you have it done at the dealer, there could be. This word, "liable", it is part of the reason why things are heading where they are heading in our country at the moment, IMO.
Look also what NASSTY said, it all applies. As he said, everybody has his own opinion on this, but doing your own oil change certainly does not fall into the "stupid" category, LOL.
To me, the question goes more like this: Why would somebody ever have an oil change done at the dealer? If you don't want to do it yourself, then there usually are much better small shops around where you can watch the mechanic doing it, and talk to him at the same time. So why the dealer? Forget liability, I don't think that applies. All you need to do is keep the receipts, in any case: dealer, self or independent shop.