View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AOD is based off the FMX which is based off the Cruise-O-Matic.

As for the Fuel Miser TC getting better MPG than the manual, the only thing I can think of is the torque multiplication you get when starting out. I have no idea how that factors in but that's all I could think of to get the same or better MPG than a manual.

I'm in a similar boat. Long story short I'm looking at an 86 F250 Supercab that's going to be THE truck. It's a 351/C6 combo and I'm thinking of how I can get the best mileage and none of Fords OD autos really impress me.

The main concept of the build is stone cold reliability through simplicity. That's #1 priority. Even built I question the ability of the AOD to survive in an 8600lb gvw truck. Especially one that will tow 6-7k... The E4OD might but I then need a computer to run the trans and I'm getting away from my "simplicity" goal. I have an E4OD but it needs to be rebuilt so that plus the computer I'm at least at $2000.

I think for me and the amount of driving I do with the truck I'm going to stick with the C6 and just suck up the couple MPG loss. If I can average 10 or so that would be great. My 2004 Dodge 1500 with the 4.7v8 and 5spd Auto gets 11.5 or so average. That's a double OD trans...

In the end I think I'm going to go Manual. I plan on doing some limited plowing with the truck and I don't know how I'm going to like a manual but for the money I think it's the best bet to get me the most MPG while remaining simple and reliable.

Other than that, go over the basics. Tire pressure, tune, eliminate unneeded junk to keep the weight down and drive easy.

Lastly, for grins and giggles I figured out what a 2mpg increase (10->12mpg) would save you if you drove 12k miles/yr and gas was $3.50/gal. Savings are about $700/yr.

Here are some other numbers:
All assume starting at 10mpg, driving 12k miles/yr and gas costs $3.50/gal. Savings are per year.

New MPG - Savings
11mpg - $382
12mpg - $700
13mpg - $970
14mpg - $1200
15mpg - $1400
16mpg - $1575

So if you gain 1mpg by tuning up your truck you'll save almost $400 in a year... Kinda puts the $100 or so in parts into prospective...