View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Near future project

Now that my 69 F250 IDI project is pretty much done, I've been looking towards the next big one. My Courier is next, getting a Mercedes diesel, and 4x4 conversion, but after that we need a family vehicle.
I'm leaning towards a 67-72 crew cab cab, custom Excursion-style rear body, all on a late 80s/early 90s F250 chassis with a 7.3IDI and either E4OD or ZF five speed.
I know there has been at least one other truck on here turned from a crew cab to full bodied SUV, but I think it was done with a Cadillac or Toranado FWD setup.
My one real question has to do with tackling the rear roof. I'm thinking of using either the roof and rear windows off a Suburban, or maybe a van. I don't want to do a removable roof like a Bronco, I intend for this to be equivalent to an Excursion.
The other issue is the rear doors. I'm heavily leaning towards barn doors, but a full lifting gate isn't off the table. A drop gate is out, had a Wagoneer with one ans it's the worst thing ever on a large, tall SUV.

I know this will be an immense project, but I'll end up with the vehicle we need rather than trying to fit into what's available.
Any suggestions would be appreciated (except to just get an Excursion, I want something unique).