View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
amp17757
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"goinlowbII", fortunately, both my vehicles are already inspected until September of 2004. I too am curious how this new emissions thing is going to go. Vehicles older than 1996 are not going to be tested for actual emissions, only a visual to make sure that all equipment is intact. For my Ranger, that won't be a problem, all equipment is still intact, even though it doesn't all work (the smog pump does not work at all, but it is there). As for my Eagle, I'm a little concerned. Everything is "there", but, I have done some mods. On an orphan that old, I think they'll be challenged just to FIND all the specs, let alone be familiar enough with them to know what they're looking at. They SHOULD go easy on it, because all the important stuff is still there (cat conv, PCV, all vents [carb bowl, gas tank], no leaks, no blue or black smoke, good gas tank & cap, all the obvious stuff). I think it will be a little like the current SAFETY inspection ... meaning, some garages scrutinize EVERYTHING, whether it really affects safety or not. The FAIR garages do what was really intended ... "if it is safe, it will pass, end of story". If I can find a garage that will have this same philosophy about emissions, I'll be in good shape. I think that all owners of 1995 and older vehicles will be faced with the same challenge, just simply finding a garage that will be REASONABLE, and FAIR. The REAL problem will be vehicles that have been modified for performance. I plan to modify BOTH my vehicles, but I really need to do a lot of investigating first, as do all of us who like to "soup" our wheels. I guess we'll see how it goes within the coming year or so.