View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Nimbus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, it appears time to write un update.

Ford mileage 3,300. Tundra 1,070.

I have practically lived in the Ford this month & thus haven't hardly driven the garage queen Tundra. But yesterday, I did take a personal outing to Seattle area & back & logged another 600 miles on the Tundra.

The Tundra mileage seems stuck at 14.9 while the Ecoboost seems to hover around 17.3.

My father-in-law who owns a Raptor drove the Tundra yesterday for about 25 miles & was really impressed. This surprised me! We drove on a hilly, pot-holed road that he travels weekly. He felt the Tundra has more get up & go then his Raptor but rode a bit harsher. The Tundra felt like a 3/4 ton to him compared to his Raptor.

My impressions? Well, the Tundra seemed larger to me too. You ride higher in the Tundra & the leg & headroom are much more spacious than the F-150. I liked the Tundra's orange display instrument lights at night & found them much more soothing than the blue display in my F-150 which I have to turn to it's lowest setting at night. The F-150 gives a lot of display data in the information center most of it I really don't need. I also like the way my arms seem to fit the door & center armrest while driving. The Tundra's telescoping steering wheel is nice too.

I drove the F-150 again today to run a few errands in town. It did seem much smaller & more agile than the Tundra. But again, yesterday I was in a very tight parking lot at a major mall & the Tundra navigated around all the idiots & tight parking just great. I think it's more of a perception of largeness than reality. Remember, I traded in a 2008 F350 Screw that I drove 230,000 miles...now it was a bear to park in tight places.

Three things I hate about the Ford. The sun visor only seems to want to stay in two different positions - neither where I want it to stay. The lower storage under the center seat is a pain to get to & the upper on is too small. Third; the controls on the steering wheel especially the cruise seems to be poorly thought out. Maybe because it's different than my F350 & perhaps I'll get used to it.

All in all, after my wife spent some time driving the F-150 she thought maybe we'd made a mistake in buying a Tundra for our personal driver. But after spending yesterday in the Tundra the jury is still out. Overall, the Tundra was great to travel in yesterday!

Gosh, to think I've always professed to be a Ford man!