View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
60F500
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Forum

Hey everyone, I just found this forum while looking for some info on wheels and tires for my '60 F500 grain truck.
I bought it to use hauling debris, dirt and stuff for a house I'm remodeling. I don't have a pickup and since I could buy this for cheaper than a pickup, I did so that I won't have to shovel lathe and plaster junk twice when I go to the dump.
It's a '60 F500 that's been cobbled on a lot, but is in reasonably good shape for it's age. The strangest thing about it is that it has a Chevy 327 and a 4spd in it. The inside is pretty nice, but not everything works.
It's got 8.25X20 tires all the way around on Firestone wheels. The steer tires aren't too bad but most of the rears are shot. From some reading I did on another thread, I think these are "locking ring" type of wheels. I work as a mechanic and I think that I could mount up some tires when I found some, but I'd like some more info on the wheels and what it takes to do that, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to get in a situation where I take it apart and don't know what I'm doing or am unsafe. Are these wheels as dangerous to deal with as the split ring widow maker type? If so, I'll just take it to a truck shop. If it's just a matter of taking my time and using a lot of muscle, I'd like to give doing them myself a go. Are they similar to mounting a regular car/truck tire, just bigger or do you have to take the wheels apart?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on wheels/tires and if you can point me towards some threads or websites, that would be very helpful.
I'll post up some more pics if you guys are interested in seeing some more of the truck.