View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Piolet
You're probably right, but I was figuring that with 240,000 miles I'd rather be cleaning it on my schedule instead of having it bite me in the *** when I'm miles from home at a job site. Especially as it seems like a lack of cleaning maintenance has been what has caused them to stick in the recent posts.
Well when it gets warmer I'll be removing mine. I haven't decided on replacing or just cleaning it yet.
I've been reading more about it and came across the following:

The bolt is part# 3C3Z-6C751-A and I've seen it priced from $20 to $35.
The o-ring is part# W302722, can be bought seperately and I've seen it priced from $0.26 to $0.70.

The descriptions I've read suggest it is removed with an 11mm allen wrench, and there will be a small amount of oil that comes with it, but not much. The engine doesn't have to be drained of oil to access this part. Once it's out it can be checked for burrs and oil build-up, then cleaned with very fine cloth. Crocus cloth was mentioned in one instance, super fine steel wool in another.

One thing that was surprising that you don't notice until you get into a google search of this 6.0 regulator, is:
* how often it ends up being the root cause of a no start.
* how often threads have proceeded with guys going nuts on STC, HPOS, dummy plugs, etc, only to come to this valve last.
* frequently it appears as a suggestion in the thread early on, but it doesn't get much notice and the poster proceeds with the STC etc until coming back around to this valve.

--- 'how often' and 'frequently' are my own propritary terms to describe my exhaustive google search results ---

I figure being that I'm at high miles and my work route can see me making 8- 10 starts / stops per day easy, it maybe should be part of some maintenance schedule. Especially if it can strand me miles from home.