View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used HVAC for shop.

I broke down and bought a 35K btu propane heater for the shop. It's one of those Mr Heater torpedo style. I got a surprise from work today "hey, want you to stock X on your truck" My response: " I can't fit X, I don't have the room." Yeah, but you need to." So I had to head home and mod my workvan to fit some extra parts and didn't want to do it in the cold.

I'm not sure if it's truly 35k or not, but this is the one I was looking at for a permanent set up:Mr. Heater Propane Garage Heater — 45,000 BTU, Model# MHU45LP | Propane Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment

A was going for that one at 45K btu, but don't like the idea of a propane bill or a contract for it. Had a house once I rented and had a propane tank that cost about 800 to fill. I didn't even use it that much!

So, The shop isn't well insulated at all. In fact it has terrible gaps etc and is made of steel. I plan on getting it as well insulated as possible, it is a Quonset hut though. The 35K could only warm the shop from 35 up to 45 degrees. Better, but could still see my breath.

So, I got to thinking (a dangerous thing).. I only want to heat this when I'm in there working and was thinking what a used HVAC system (heat pump) would cost? I mean, don't most HVAC shops recycle them when they replace them? I wonder If I could get one for cheap and play around with it. I have the power at the shop to do it so that's not a worry. I know some people have the used oil heaters, but afraid of trying to secure a supply of the stuff.