Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
mig25
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EXPY EDDIE BAUER TRANSMISSION FILTER REPLACE.

Finally I did it. I replaced the filter on my 2006 expedition eddie Bauer 4x4 today.
I found out that the 2006 does not have a drain plug on the converter.
Speaking of drain plug, I just installed one in my transmission as well. I am not too crazy about an ATF bath when replacing the filter.
Below are some steps I took, by the way I have done the same procedure last year on my 2004 explorer.

* First of, I drove 10 miles on the HWY to warm up the fluid.
Came home , parked the beast on ramps front of the truck on my driveway just to make it level.

*Now that is kind of level, I grabbed my dril with a 1/4" drill bit , and drilled the transmission pan on its lower part, where I want the drain plug to be.... it is hard to see , but where the drop of ATF is , that is where the whole I drilled is...

Now, whit the oil drained, I removed the pan. All 14 bolts, 10 mm.
As you can see , my pan was never dropped, the plastic plug still sit inside. 108.000 miles :'(
You can also now see the whole I drilled on the lowest part of the pan...

Below is the bottom of the transmission, showing the old filter in place...

Now, I bought one of these at the local autoparts store. I had to enlarge the whole I initially drilled on the pan to a 1/2" whole [/B.]

The inside of the pan, I used JB Weld just to ensure it will not spin or leak. The kit comes with a nylon washer.

Below is how it looks on the outsied of the pan. This is the same plug I installed in my 2004 explorer. this way I can fill thru here on the the explorer.

Now , I got me one of these motorcraft transmission filters from the local autoparts store...

Installed the pan back on the transmission, torqued all 14 bolts to 10lbs/ft

Refilled her with the same amount of ATF I removed ( Mercon V ). took her for a spin. Checked the fluid. done.
The only thing I did not like was not having a drain plug on the converter. I removed the rubber plug on the front of the transmission. Span the engine by hand few times, could not find anythin. I called the Forde dealer parts department, just to be informed from 2002 up there are no more drain plugs on the converters....