Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 Expedition- random electric power loss

I had a strange occurrence happen saturday evening. I was patrolling in the county and I noticed my battery light had come on. I thought "hey Ill make it to the garage at the sheriffs office and take a look at her".

Well as I kept driving (about 25miles away from Sheriffs Office) I noticed my ABS, CEL also came on.
As I continued I decided to stop at the next "city" as I had lost all gauges and A/C and headlights were getting dim.
As I reached the edge of the "city" I lost all dash lights. I also noticed my transmission shifting in a strange manner.

I stopped there in lakeview at the cotton gin where they have lots of lights.
I checked all my fuses w/a test light and all tested good.
I then wiggled the red wire that runs from the alternator to the battery and noticed everything flicker. I shook that wire again and everything came back on.

I raced to the SO and parked my Exped. I had noticed that my dashcam had locked up and my battery was dead when I tried starting my Exped later that night.

I picked up my Exped today (had to jumpstart) to work on it before I go on duty and everything is working fine. No battery light, No CEL, etc.

I did find the insulation where the alt wire connects to the positive cable near the battery is dry and cracking and slightly corroded. I am going to tear into the exped tomorrow before I go on duty and will let yall know how it turns out....hopefully its just a loose battery cable.