Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big, huge weekend project...with pics, vol 2!

This time I used a real camera (instead of my cell phone) and hopefully, we'll see more consistency in photo quality, resolution, and size.

I don't know if its a model year difference, or a vehicle style difference, but my Focus (2007) does NOT tell you when it needs an oil change. My wife's 2008 Escape, on the other hand, is soooo smart that it notifies the driver when it is time to beat ones spouse into changing the oil.

(No junior assistants available this weekend...I took each of the following photos, except of course for the one my wife had to take...I bet you can figure it out...)

#1. It starts to complain when approximately 10% of oil life is remaining.

(Last time, I ran it all the way down to 0%. Car didn't mind, wife did. )

#2. Raise the big square thing on the front end... (I believe the technical term is "hood".)

#3. Dig through garage to find a 13mm wrench. (I don't like sockets or adjustable wrenches for this particular job...)

#4. Find the flippin' drain plug...

#5. Drain the oil.

EDIT: #5.5. No pic offered, but be sure to reinstall the drain plug before step #6. (Just sayin'...)

#6. Be sure to use shiny new oil and filter. (Hoo boy. EDIT #2: "use shiny new oil" means putting the oil INTO the engine...)

#7. The newer the car, the more important this step is...fill the new oil filter BEFORE installation. Wait for it to suck up the oil, fill it again... repeat as necessary.

I hope that y'all have as much fun reading this post as I had creating it.

(If'n I left out some technical aspect that you're questioning, fire away... )

Attached Images