Thread: 51 step van
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The last truck I bought a few months ago was sitting in an inner city garage for 20 years. It was a rot bucket, really, it also had some interesting custom grill work. The first time I looked at it it was parked in an old dilapidated garage with plywood screwed over the doors and one 60 watt bulb. I could only see one side of the truck and couldn't check the engine if it was any good. From what I could see was rusted out panels with at least a 1/4" of bondo covering the bottom half of the truck. I asked the seller what he was looking to get for it and he told me he didn't know much about old trucks but he'd seen truck like it sell for anywhere between $5-25K on the net. I told him as politely as possible that this was no $5-25K truck. I told him since I couldn't get to see enough of the truck the best I'd offer was a few bucks over scrap. I told him he might find some one else willing to pay more and that he should try to find some one more interested in the truck. A few weeks later I ended up buying it for a little more than scrap because he needed out of the garage.

I think a lot of people see the BJ auctions and some of the nutty prices being paid on eBay a few years back and think just because it's old it's worth a fortune. They don't realize the amount of work and money it takes to get the the BJ condition. Also, in the case of larger trucks, many don't realize even if they're in good condition the market is smaller because parts are more expensive, harder to find and you need a lot more room to work on them and to store. Also, it costs a lot more to move a big truck from point A to point B. This van has the big truck chassis and it will not be cheap to haul anything in it. I would think he could get a better price if it was smaller truck.