View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Ruffinit
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a 2003 reg cab / 2.3 / 5 sp flareside with 4.10 gears.

I had been after a "Splash" since they first came out, but with long legs, they were uncomfortable after a short time. When they modified the cab with a couple extra inches, that's all it took. I found one and purchased it.

I drive mostly highway/interstate, so it's 55, 65 and 70 mph. I drive at that speed. I commute 140 miles/day, 35K per year. My Ranger (purchased at 10,500) has now 135K on it after only 3 1/2 years. I have documented the mileage over that time. The things I've done to squeeze out a couple more miles is a soft tonneau which netted about 1.8mpg and kept the original diameter tires. (though a bit wider)

I continue to get mileage in between 30 and 32, day after day, tank after tank. In the winter it may drop to 27. In the summer, (bed loaded with tonneau) I got the single best 250 mile trip mileage at 34.1. The same trip with a 12' enclosed cargo trailer, bucking a headwind and thunderstorm got me the lowest mileage ever of 19.6. I pulled my son-in-law's Grand Cherokee and got 24.6 for 60 miles. Drove it out to Utah and back through Colorado and Wyoming running anywhere from between 70 and 85 and still netted 28mpg on a 2400 mile run.

It's a great little combination. Nice little maneuverable truck. Full frame which is survivable in a crash. Well built and great mileage with limited towing capability, but better towing and hauling than some cheap little car.

The 2.3 is a great engine. Plenty of giddy-up for a small truck and still enough horsepower to not have to be shifting much on a longer drive. I was wishing for a turbo in Colorado, but hey...