View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
4dfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding remote starter to 2008 escape

We have the 2008 escape. It came with remote entry, but we passed on the remote starter.

My wife would like to have the remote starter now so I'm shopping around. Bestbuy installs their systems free of charge, but it's an extra $140 to install one in a car built after 2007 because of the Federally mandated security systems. It was also going to cost an additional $40 to wire each window if I wanted a fancier system that can open the windows and turn on the rear defrost.

So I checked ebay, they have all sorts of systems. There's a bunch of after-market systems that claim to work by temporarily disarming the car's factory security system. These are a lot cheaper, and it doesn't look like it would be difficult to replace the fobs. Some you can use the door lock button on your fob or some other combination to start your car remotely. That would be best for me, because I wouldn't need to carry any additional fobs with me.

Just like to hear some feedback from people who have installed these systems and used them.