Thread: 5.4 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayton4
Rebuilding an engine requires machine shop work. Oil leaks are not the reason why engines need to be rebuilt. There is something else wrong with the engine they are not telling you. I agree with the others, get the best looking salvage yard engine you can find for a low price. Call around to a bunch of places. Search on car-part.com.

Not an insult, but just judging from your post, it sounds like you may be in over your head. You have a lot more reading up to do. You are going to have to increase the allotted funds or pick a different project. I've spent around $2000 on the 4.6L build I am working on now for an engine hoist, engine stand, cam timing tool, engine with 51k miles, head gaskets, head bolts, bottom end gasket kit, cleaning solvents, replacement fluids, and about a dozen other things I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

My garage was already pretty well stocked with all air tools, ratchets, sockets, wrenches and other special tools needed.
Well when you start the truck up it makes a clank clank clank noise then stops. So this is the senario. Guy owns 2wd 5.4 as a work truck. Takes good care of it but a friend is going to give him a good deal on a diesel 4x4. Guys wife says no way unless his current one dies. So what does he do? Drive the snot out of it till something goes pop. I am kind of agreeing on the salvage yard engine.

And yes im totally in over my head on this stuff. Never really done anything internally other than some crank bearings on my old SBC. But thats why I am here asking.