View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm not getting defensive here but I would like to change the perspective a little.

I fully agree that past turbo / supercharged gas vehicles of yesteryear had the potential for major issues and are for the most part extinct with some exceptions. I will ask this: How many 403 CID Trans Am's still exist today? How many 2.8L V-6 Mustangs still exist today?

My point being, what percentage of turbo/SC cars were built to the volumes of N/A cars?

Two decades ago lubricants weren't as good. The ability to cool and lubricate the turbos hadn't evolved like the Ecoboost has. Far be it for me to say that the ecoboost won't have issues. The turbos themselves may never fail but valves, wastegates and other things that allow the turbo to function could fail. Who am I to say, these fantastic little engines are too young to tell.

I pray that anyone of us who dipped our toes in the water and bought one of the four new engines don't any issues what so ever.

I am a bit disappointed in the overall write up. I had my heart set on a 5.0L F-150 when the ecoboost dropped in my lap. The 5.0L totally intrigued me as well with it's power, sound, responsiveness and just the plain fact that it's a Mustang engine.

I think that until V-8's become extinct, there will always be a place for the 5.0L.
I understand your not getting defensive here and I totally respect your point of veiw. I'll admit...I have a special place in my heart for V8 engines a place that no V6 or I4 or even V-10 or V-12 can ever touch. But I do respect the Ecoboost, I've seen whats its capable of and have experienced it myself to some degree. I can't help but be skeptical of it...And I want everyone who reads this to know that I am not out trash talk the Ecoboost. I've just been raised in a time perioud where V8 engines were THE premier engines for horsepower and torque, and now with the Ecoboost on the scene I can't help my skepticisim. Its not so much that I feel threatend by the Ecoboost itself...But I what I fear most is losing the power of choice. If I go to buy a new F-150 in 25 years...Will I still have the option to get a V8 engine? Or will it just be V6's and I4'?...Will there even be V6's as options at that time?....I know these are questions that can't be anwserd at this time...But, none the less....The fear of losing choice and options does disturb me more than anything.

As I said, I'll always be a V8 guy, and as long as I'm given the choice I'll more than most likely opt for the V8 over the V6. But I guess that's just part of who I am.