Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
IMHO, the Tundra is a great truck, watch out for the next generation. I'd proudly own one in a minute before I'd own anything else.
IMHO, the Tundra is a colossal POS even discounting the wet-noodle it has for a frame and the pathetically under built tailgates. I too have a friend with a Tundra, a 2008 DC 5.7 2WD with the TRD (an appropriate acronym to suit the truck's malodorous appearing exterior) package. EDIT: It's the TSS package.

At 75,000 miles:
-bad air injection pump (nearly a $3000 repair and causes the truck to enter a limp mode making it UNSAFE to drive)
-bad a/c compressor
-piston slap
-torque converter shudder
-trans or shift schedule issue that results in feeling every single downshift coming to a stop, and the occasional dramatic bang.

The Toyota dealer has NO ANSWER for the transmission issues.

That's just the quantifiable malfunctions. There's things like interior trim quality which is absolutely atrocious, (silver panel in the center of the dash missing large chunks of paint around the radio), leather seats showing premature signs of wear, etc. This truck is NOT abused, it's simply lacking in durability right down to the design/engineering level.

The Tundra has a long way to go to catch up to it's domestic rivals as an overall truck, much less the F150. A complete redesign or extreme MCE is required to do so.

The Tundra's do have a sweet engine (5.7), but even that has been trumped by several of the newer offerings. There's NO WAY I would buy a Tundra when it is pretty much the least competitive (and durable) full-size offering out there at the moment.

I don't even need to think twice before saying I would take a 6.2 Silverado/Sierra, 5.0 F150, EB F150, 6.2 F150, or a 2009+ Hemi Ram over a Tundra. All are superior trucks.