View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Is that thermometer reading 25 degrees? And the B100 clouded up that much more than B70?

You're right about what the PS says on the bottle - good for BD blends up to B20. I figure that is just a CYA on their part - just like the vehicle manufacturers say their vehicles are only good to run on B5 or less. The PS bottle also says it will lower the gel point up to 36 degrees. I figure if it even lowers it 20 degrees, and it isn't gelling now in the low 30's, then adding the PS should keep it from gelling down into the low teens - which is colder than it is likely to get in my neck of the woods...
Yes, that reads 25F. This picture was taken after a few days of temperatures in the high teens, where it became solid like wax. It takes much longer for B100 to 'break loose' after it gels. But at 25F it looks nearly like that, just not as dense throughout.

Since temperatures here in Seattle infrequently dip much below freezing, I'm fine with cutting it with pump diesel.

I've wondered myself if the DK would work at lowering gel points of higher biodiesel concentrations. Maybe another sample/blend test should be conducted........