Old 12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
BigMikeUGA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepy445FE
That's a pretty good writeup.
You don't have to completely remove the rocker shafts to get the pushrods out though. They'll loosen enough that you can slide the pushrods out. As it says keep them in order. I just use a box with 16 holes in it that are labeled so I don't get em mixed up.

MAKE SURE you loosen the rocker shaft bolts very evenly, only 1/2 to 1 turn per bolt at a time in order from front to back or back to front. The shafts are pretty easy to bend if you try and go too fast. Here's a good article about it FE valvtrain install/removal
Some people use the end gaskets on the intake manifold with success, but the majority of us don't. They just tend to leak more or pop out after time. I use a bead of The Right Stuff on the ends and have never had a problem with leaks. Make sure the gaskets that mate intake to head don't block off the oil drainback holes on each side. I also fatten the bead a bit at the "corner" where intake/block/head meet to ensure no leaks.

TQ specs-
Rocker shaft bolts 45ft/lbs
Intake manifold bolts 35ft/lbs cast iron, 25ft/lbs aluminum
Thanks, I really appreciate the information.

I got the intake off tonight and will get it cleaned up tomorrow. The intake had some carbon on the bottom of it.