Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by c.hawk71
My 2003 ranger xlt 4.0 has a stalling problem. The engine light came on in aug and I had it coded at AutoZ and there was a code for the oxy sensor, changed that and didn't help so i took it back. In oct I had it coded and it said the air int temp sensor which i was informed was part of the mas airflow sensor, changed that the beginning of nov, got the computer to reset and it still didn't fix it. Took that part back and had it coded again a few days later and several codes came up AutoZ code 1732 and the the OEM number to cross for them were: P2195 , P0300 , P0316 , P0174 , P0171 , P2197 . Reset the comp yesterday and as soon as the light came on had them code it again and it came up AutoZ code 1732 OEM # to cross P2195. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP??? If not I guess my next step will be to take it to the dealers to get diagnosed and pray its something that I can fix myself for not a lot of $.
Welcome to FTE.

Boy you've been having a tail chasing go round with this puppy, so lets see if we can use the posted code definitions to unravel your mystery.

Basically they're saying you likely have a large vacuum leak. On your model 4.0L, the PCV valve rubber elbow dryrotting & causing a bad vacuum leak is a good suspect for your list. Maybe the PCV valve too, if it's time for it to be changed, as if its sticking open, that'll cause an uncalculated for & unmetered intake side vacuum leak/airflow intake that the MAF sensor isn't monitoring, so the air fuel mixture would go so lean the computer couldn't compensate for it, so idle would be off, or if it were bad enough the engine could stall, or you might have ping problems on a pull & you have codes saying both cyl bank O2 sensos are stuck lean & not switching, P2195 & P2197, P0171, P0174.

You also have a random misfire code P0300 & misfire on start up during the first 1000 rpm, P0316 & these may be caused by the vacuum leak, or you may have another problem thats being masked by the lean condition.

SO, begin to look for an intake side vacuum leak that would affect both cylinder banks & I'd suggest beginning with a check of that PCV hose & valve. If no joy, progress to other rubber vacuum hoses, especially those that connect to the engine intake manafold, or run close to anything hot, or that moves.

If no joy, rig a propane sniffer, using an unlit propane torch, length of rubber hose attached, whos loose end is fitted with a sports needle used to inflate foot or basket ***** & use it as a probe to run along the intake manafold gasket line with the engine at idle. If you have a leak & the engine gets a whiff, its idle speed will increase.

Let us know what you find.