Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a suspension swap it's a piece of cake. If you don't have them you might want to go back and get the spacers out of the CV frame. If you are interested, Eaton Detroit has 1" & 1 1/2" drop springs for that suspension. Mine ran me just over $200 (like $215) which included shipping. I did the 1 1/2".

Now you want to know the inexpensive rear swap? MN12 IRS. They put them under '89-'97 TBirds, Cougars & Mark VIIIs. You can find them with discs without much problem at all. The Lincoln units had alum housings as well. Stir in the mount kit from Team321 LLC Ford Truck Independent Rear Suspension (321)960-5945 dheld@cfl.rr.com and you have an IRS under your truck for less than $1000. Yields roughly a 5" drop.

Good luck with your swap & if you have any questions feel free to hollar. There are a bunch of us bump guys who have done this swap. You should be able to do the swap in a weekend in a home garage with a welder.

Something I thought about after making this post. I didn't do this and am pulling my steering shaft back out to do it. Just a safety move. Crossdrill all your connections and run bolts through them. If the one of the welds break or a set screw works loose you lose all your steering as it will simply slide off the end of the column.

Last edited by elgemcdlf; 12-03-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Additional Thoughts