Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling trigger soon, anybody use Ford's $1000 trade-in assistance?

Per Ford's website:

$1,000 Trade-In Assistance Bonus Cash (PGM #33806)
Trade-In Assistance Bonus Cash requires trade-in of 1995 or newer FLM or competitive vehicle
I tried to find more details about the program online, but was unsuccessful. When I inquired about it at the dealer, they didn't sound like they understood all the rules either. What I'm interested in learning is likely in the "fine print."

I currently don't have a trade-in, but what would stop me from buying a 1995-or-newer beater on Craigslist, to qualify for the $1000 trade-in bonus? Yes, you could call this "gaming the system" but I don't know why I'm being discriminated against for not having a trade-in either.

Does the bonus stack (as in, do I get Fair Market Value on the traded vehicle PLUS the $1000? Example: $500 beater + $1000 trade-in assistance bonus cash = $1500)?

Does Ford's fine print protect them from paying out the full $1000 if the beater is only worth $500? (i.e., is the bonus cash capped at whatever the Fair Market Value is, so a beater worth $500 would only earn $500 trade-in assistance, making it a wash not worth the trouble of finding, buying, and registering a beater)?

Can Ford reject the trade-in assistance if the trade-in doesn't meet its definition of "1995 or newer Ford-Lincoln-Mercury or competitive vehicle"? Does that mean they'll accept a Chevy but not a Hyundai? Does the competitive vehicle have to be a truck if I'm looking at purchasing an F-150?