View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 03:47 PM
73 fourxfour
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 FE Ranchero/Falcon/Fairlane

Howdy.
I usually hang out in the 73-79 truck section because that is what I've been working on for the last few years, but I love all Fords and especially ones that accept FEs. I grew up in a 427 powered boat, so I'm always wondering what I can stuff an FE into. I currently have a 67 Fairlane GTA Conv. that needs restoration and have an affection for most year Rancheros.

I have had a question and made some assumptions for about 20 years regarding interchangability of parts in 1966 and never seen any discussions on my specific questions.

Assumptions:
1966 Ranchero and 1967 Ranchero were the same except front sheet metal and grill.

I could put a 66 Fairlane grill on a 66 Ranchero to make it look like a Fairlane Ranchero along with putting an FE in it using factory parts.

I assumed the engine compartment and front chassis were the same in 1966 for the Falcon/Fairlane/Ranceros.

So with those assumptions, will an FE fit in all those vehicles with factory parts?

I also read somewhere while researching the front end is shared all the way until 71, so then could I put a 400 in a 66?

Is it against the rules in this forum to talk about Fairlanes or Falcons if the information can also pertain to Rancheros? If not, please continue reading. While I plan on owning a Ranchero some day right now I have my eye on a straight 66 Falcon for $400 that I would love to put a 428 in and bracket race with. Would 66 Fairlane fenders and grill bolt up to it too? I'm assuming it will, but I hope someone can verify all this for me.

Thanks for all your input.