View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diver110
So I am looking at buying my first truck after many decades of cars (some hot). I like to get off pavement and occasionally would carry a camper. I could probably get by with the Ecoboost max payload set up (around 2000 pounds), but a 3/4 diesel has much more payload and gives me more flexibility as to what camper to buy. For the same money, I would have to buy a few year old diesel or a new Ecoboost. The mpg I am seeing on the Ecoboost are not blowing my socks off, though at least a bit better than likely with a diesel. Then again, diesels go forever. Then again, while I won't do rock climbing, diesels are heavier, maybe less ideal off pavement. I have been going back and forth like this for months. Advice?
I've been there and got the T-shirt. Our last camper was a large 5th wheel with a 2200lb pin weight. When you're talking about that much payload, you need a big truck. If you go with a 1 ton truck, you pretty much have your pick of whatever you want for a camper.

Where you are now, I would recommend finding a capable half-ton truck and look into the newer, lighter slide in campers on the market if that's what you want. I believe they make some that would work in a half/ton if you want a slide in. Link to Lance campers: Lance 865 Truck Camper - Lance 865

Of course, these days, there are many great choices for half ton towable travel trailers and 5th wheels on the market. Once you get started, you can see how you like it before jumping into the fire feet first so to speak. RV shows are just around the corner.

Have fun shopping!