Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Kike Miami
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that a small powertrain will actually work, I understand Sprinters sold less that Econolines, but price is about double! nowadays a MB Sprinter retails for about $38,000 far away from my budget. If similar van becomes available for a price similar to econolines i most likely to buy that one.

I currently own a old Windstar, and it works for me because I drive at least 100 miles daily, 6 days a week, it is a small truck, but at 20 mpg, saves me a lot of money when I compare with a full size, if this Transit brings the 2.4 diesel matched with a standard transmission will easily go over 25 or even 30 mpg, i would definitely buy it, once again, if price is below 30k.

The american idea of big engines more power more cargo is not realistic, most of us never reach to cargo capacity of our vehicles, and for those that do it, read the specs of a sprinter van, and youŽll be blown away on cargo capacity either by volume and/or weight. There is also more models that I would love to see here in US, like a pick up version on the Transit Connect, like the Mexican Ford Courier, (focus based, i believe) small 1.6 gas engine, about 1500 pounds cargo, and about 40 mpg (no hybrid).

We need to have more options in the US, not everyone needs a dually to go to work, if you do, good for you, but honestly, there is more options out there, in Europe there is no pick ups, or they existence is limited, and everyone build houses, move boats, and take tile and bricks etc. etc. etc.

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The Ford Transit is not related to the Sprinter in any way other than being a modern van designed for the Euro market.

I'm guessing that the biggest problem in adapting it to the US market is going to be drivetrains. The standard drivetrains in Europe are 4 cylinder diesels, and I don't think that is going to work in the US.

It would be fun to see something different on the road, from an American automaker. I'm guessing they would continue to build Econolines at least in cab/chassis form for a while, given the huge aftermarket industry that is tied to the shapes and dimensions of the current platform.

George