Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Paul2020
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure Proof Test for TFI ?

Eco and friends!

I've done a lot of reading the last couple days on the TFI failures in the older model Fords. I have an 1988 E-150 conversion van in very good condition except for this stalling out, no start problem. It looks like there was a major issue and a major lawsuit that Ford settled out of court around 2001. A known issue involving random TFI failures due to overheating of the unit.

I read some people's experiences about replacing a brand new TFI module that tested good with another brand new one and it corrected the no-start problem.

Conclusion: The standard tests from before cannot always detect a bad TFI.

A TFI replacement story:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...stributor.html

Suggested Testing Procedures that reportedly don't always show a bad TFI:

Ford Ranger/Bronco II TFI Ignition Diagnostics

I am wondering two things.

1) Does the Ford Rotunda TFI tester give a more accurate test than anything else? From the article number (87-21-10) issued by Ford it looks like it might have come out in 2010?

If so, where in the world can I get one reasonably? I haven't been able to locate anything yet on eBay or by searching for Ford dealer out-of-busines auctions.

2) Motocraft TFI's are quite expensive. I can get one at near wholesale for between $100 and $150 plus shipping. What aftermarket brand is the next best option in your opinion?

Thanks!

Here is Ford's published article on the new test procedure:

EEC IV - TFI MODULE AND PIP SENSOR - Article No. 87-21-10
NEW DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1983 MARK VI
1983-86 CAPRI 1983-87 LYNX 1983-88 COUGAR, MERCURY, CONTINENTAL, LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1984-88 TOPAZ, MARK VII 1986-88 SABLE
MERKUR: 1985-88 XR4Ti 1988 SCORPIO

LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-88 ALL LIGHT TRUCK LINES

ISSUE: A new diagnostic procedure for testing the TFI module and PIP sensor has been developed. This new procedure allows the technician to take a direct path when testing the TFI module and PIP sensor with the use of the new TFI IV diagnostic tester (Rotunda No. 105-00003).
ACTION: If service is required, use the diagnostic procedures on pages 29 through 60 of this TSB. Insert these pages in the Engine/Emission Diagnosis Manual, Volume H, Section 15.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None
WARRANTY STATUS: "INFORMATION ONLY