View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Racecarhauler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am FINALLY in the frame of mind (and wallet) to attack an issue I've been dealing with for exactly (to the week) TWO YEARS now...my local Stealership replaced my #2 injector and it worked great for about 3 months...

Code reader (SCT Livewire system) throwing a "contribution" code for #2 and when I took the truck back at 4mos. they said "whenever you want to bring it in" - well, I was building a new home/shop and figured I should take it in 2 weeks shy of the 12mo./12k mi. "warranty".

The service rep. immediately said, "you're at 12,4XX mi. over the 12,000mi. warranty" and that was that...they HOSED me...Ford "Customer Care Solutions" said they couldn't do a thing for me so here I am, a year later, settled in the new home/shop and ready to rumble with changing out #2!

I happened upon an awesome Youtube video of a Ford Master Tech. who shows you how to do all sorts of procedures, namely the injector changeout on a 6.blow - I feel I can do this, after all, I am a "race car guy" and have an awesome set of tools.

Some of my questions are:

Should I really buy the bomb-diggity Motorcraft "Injector Cup Cleaning Brush" at $50? I don't hear much mention of it on here, but then I haven't read EVERY post regarding changing injectors.

Is it common sense to change the copper seal, oil rail seals and of course, the O-rings on all the injectors on that bank?

My best guess is that they didn't clean the injector cup, I KNOW they didn't change the copper seal at the bottom of the cup (at that time they told me they don't) and probably didn't brush/blow out the bolt hole - so there's a decent chance the injector isn't all the way seated and I've driven for 2 years and probably 20k mi. with it like that.

It's now getting colder and the truck really "talks back" during my morning commute - it's horrible until I've been driving for a good 5min. after at least a 10min. warm up...my new neighbor HATES my truck...they're retired and have to listen to it warm up every AM...going to start plugging it in.

Any other tips to consider before I take this on? It appears pretty straight-forward and everything the tech. mentioned in the video makes complete sense, PLUS what I've read on here over the years.

Which injector installation write-up is the best/most recent? Can someone link me to it? Thanks again for reading/enduring my long posts...it's been a good year since I've been on here but it's time to get back to business now that we're settled into our new home.