View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by River
10-4, that's a good idea. The battery thing, I get it, but in the first 5 years, Ford replaced the passenger batt at 2 years, then the driver at 3 years, then the passenger again just before warranty expired. Never had an issue. i'm not 100% sure I really needed to replace the one battery, however, to test them, I took out one battery and drove on a single for a while, then swapped them. The remaining one did fine, the other not so fine and was almost 4 years old, so i replaced it.
That's not exactly how I'd test 'em...but I guess it works.
Originally Posted by River
Wish I'd bought that Scan Gauge II a long time ago!! Why Ford sold an HD truck with dual batts and alternators and only an idiot light for battery is beyond comprehension.
I couldn't agree with you more, though I use an AE...it's amazing what you can do with that thing. As far as the idiot light....the same reason they designed and sold a $45k truck without a factory anti-thief system like 99% of everything else they sell; including the $16k Focus. Trust me, I've at just about everyone that I can find that has anything to do with Ford. Buyer beware with the older SD...it doesn't take much to steal one. But hey, they recovered from their fumble with the '08 (and up) model Superduties.
Originally Posted by retiredinstructor
...with one vat tester if you want to do it yourself you must take batts to someone with a load tester capable of 400 t0 500 amp draw for 15 secs then check outputs with dvom hope this helps good luck dennis
Are you sure about that amp draw? The factory batteries are 850CCA rated. I've never load tested mine (just put a new pair in last fall) but load testing a similar style battery at a former employer would get you 700-750amp on a resistor style load tester. To say the grids got a little warm would be an understatement