View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! my '59 is hard to start.

Let me first start with a disclamer "I am NOT nor do I clame to be a mechanic" I'm a 42 year old machinest with some "basic" auto knowledge.
Ok heres what I got, its a 1959 F100, I traded a '67 F350 dump truck for it. Not a "show" truck for sure, just a cool old truck in the $1500-$2000 range. I want to use it as a daily driver, 50 miles or so a day back and forth to work. I'm fairly confidant it's the stock 223 inline 6 with a Holly one barrel w/manual choke and "three on the tree"
Anyways, when I got it, it was hard to start, crank an crank and crank. also going down the road it would kinda bog out, if I "floored it" it would die right out but if I "backed off" it would kinda take off again. so...I got a carb kit, set down and did my best "Mike Hoffman" (an old friend now passed, not "book" smart but the best "make it run" mechanic I've ever seen) Now it runs great, no bog and all the power I could expect out of a 52 year old 6, 50mph no problem. I'm driving it just about every day BUT...it still won't start! CRANK an CRANK and CRANK sometimes finally starting or killing the battery. I pump the **** out of it till I think it's flooded, pull the plugs and they are dry! the choke or starting fluid dose not seem do anything. if I look down the carb and work the throtle it squirts. Someone said maybe the gas is draining back down the line through the mechanal fuel pump, so i have just whats in the bowl, enough to see squirt but not enough to start it.
Would an electrical fuel pump at the tank on a switch help "prime" the other pump? when it's running and there is no problem can i turn off the elec. pump?
Any other ideas?
Also when it's under a load, say going uphill or really accellerating it seems to, what i beleave is, spark knock. is the timing off?
I know without seeing it you all are merely speculating but any help would be great, and let me know if you have any questions on your injection molds! (thats just a joke, thats what i do to make money to play with old Fords and Harleys)
Anyway Thanks in advance
Chris
call, text 586-212-2320 or reply to post