View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy777
I also have a plugged oil cooler and have considered getting one of bullet proofs air cooled coolers but are they effective at keeping the temps down?
I would say just as effective as the OEM oil cooler is, and more so in the cooler months. This summer my oil temp got to 234 pulling a 32' triple axle camper down I-10 at about 70 mph in the Gulf Coast hot humid air. The coolant temp was at 220 or so. Ambient was about 97 if I remember right. The fan would kick on and pull temps down when needed. It was fun to see how that computer worked to manage the temps, very interesting.

It seems to me the oil cooler (radiator) is sized right. The only thing that I think is a con to the system is the 6 extra connections outside of the engine that my engine oil passes through. The hoses and connections are high quality hydraulic hoses and there has not been a spot of oil on any connector. I checked regularly after the install.

Oh, and I guess the other con is the price. I installed the stuff myself after doing a ton of reading and video watching. Thank you Mark for that spreadsheet... If I didn't think I could have done the install myself, I would have never bought the thing and gone with the OEM cooler. I haven't really worked on engines that much. I'm really a techy that loves to learn and figure stuff out, so I took it as a challenge to work through everything and now I'm very happy with a well engineered and thought-out product. It took me two weekends to install and when I started I didn't know where the turbo was.

Not trying to sell anyone on it, just my thoughts...