View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
79OldBone
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79 Crewcab 4x4
So... it's been monsoon season around here lately which is quite unusual. Today was productive. Basically cut bottom of 97 rad support off so it now sits under the 79's. Shaved the 79 front mounts off of support which allows the 97 rad to fit against the 79. The 79 will prob just get welded to the cut section of the 97 for now... might clean it up later but for now it will work. I am truly amazed at how well it fits.... opening up the firewall a little or leaving the stock downpipe (hahaha) would have left more clearance allowing the body to sit lower on the frame. Picked up some vintage air conditioning thing for $25 so.... after the front end gets mounted, I gotta cut the 79 support a little to allow for the AC rad... no biggy but if I didn't run the AC, the rad would fit up pretty slick as is.

Threw front end on to check alignment before tacking it together.

I'm doing this SAME exact swap just with a regular cab long bed. This is now my bible . I have a few questions tho if you dont mind.

Do you have any other pictures of the radiator support you built? Or maybe just an explanation. When you said

"Basically cut bottom of 97 rad support off so it now sits under the 79's. Shaved the 79 front mounts off of support which allows the 97 rad to fit against the 79."

You mean you cut it off the old truck and added it TO the 79 correct? So you are using the 97's radiator.

Also what did you need for custom parts to make it work? Just curious cause trying to gather most parts first and make a budget list.

Any chance you could make a diagram or list with the ohms and connections of the ignition switch?

How did the wiring go to make it run? Did the computer need the light harness etc. to run? Or did the computer just need 12v from the ignition when the key is on to start and everything else is internal on the computer? I was planning on using my 78 steering column and wont be using the light harness from the 95.

Would the 78 brake booster work with the 95 brakes if the 78 is power brakes?

I think I may try to use the 95 dash as well just so all the sensors etc will work. Not sure how im going to go about it yet tho to make it work. trim it down or something.

Sorry for all the questions but there will probably be more! haha Get your *** in gear and work on that thing its sooooooo close! lol you can see the light!