Thread: 2011/12 Expy
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a 2011 Limited Expedition EL in June. I purchased it to tow my 19ft bowrider which is also 4000lbs +. The Expy replaced my '96 Suburban as the primary tow vehicle. We did keep the Suburban as it has been extremely reliable since new but does have 150K on the odometer.

I decided to look at the Expedition because of the government take-over of the company and the way it was done. I had a difficult time locating the Expedition I wanted so I did take a new Suburban on a test drive. It too road well. I chose the Expedition over the Suburban mainly because of our government's actions and the fact that you can no longer put a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back of a Suburban. The Suburban was definitely much nicer on the inside IMO, but the Expedition had some features that are difficult to beat. For instance, the folding 3rd row seats, the flat floor, the retracting rear side glass, better backup camera software. I am not thrilled about the lack of aftermarket support on the 3rd Gen Expedition. Not that I will be in the market for anything as I do still have my Suburban but just sayin'.

I am a bit worried about the electronics in the Expy. It really is a computer controlled vehicle. Sign of the times I'm afraid. There just more systems that can go wrong, and when they do, I could be stuck. Time will tell. The '96 Suburban has yet been in a auto shop so I am afraid I will be let down when/if something goes wrong with the Expy.

rjd75 if you are really that disappointed with the Expedition, why not buy a Tahoe or Suburban, they will fit you just the same. You do have options before you tell people they "generally" suck.

I have towed with the Expedition and it tows the boat better than my '96 Suburban 5.7L (imagine that). The main reason I feel it tows better is the 6 speed transmission. It really does a nice job of putting the engine in the right RPM range to tackle the mountain passes we have here in the Pacific NW. The back-up camera makes connecting the trailer a one time back up experience. I also have the Rear Leveling Suspension which is another system to break down (leak) but does work flawlessly and the truck does not sag a bit when connected to the boat whereas the Suburban does a bit.

Johnny

Some pics: