View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 79CAMOFORD
I take it by calling it a peg leg its not a good rear end?
A Ford 9-inch is a tough rear end... even the NASCAR Sprint Cup cars (including the Yotas and Chebbies) run a Ford 9.

"Peg leg" is a euphamism meaning it is not equipped with limited slip (Traction-Lok). A burn-out won't tattoo the pavement with two beautiful stripes... just one lame one.

A limited slip or even a locker (PowerTrax or Lock-Rite) can be had for as little as $400 plus labor. The lockers mentioned above can be installed in the driveway and don't require removing the ring gear whereas the Traction-Lok does require disassembly and set-up.

Maybe even a better option is to hunt for the yards for a 31-spline center section with limited slip. If it has the tag, then look for an "L" between the gear ratio. For example, yours would have LS if the tag read 3L50. If you find one, it's a matter of disconnecting the driveshaft, unbolting the axles, pulling 'em out a hair, and then swapping the center section. A $5 tube of RTV and a couple of bottles of gear lube and yer there.

Side note... I think it's kind of ironic we're batting this thread around AND we're the only two FTE'ers in the Dentside forum currently wearing camo schemes. Check my garage and you'll see.