View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM
raidscsi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my plugs on my 2000 2V V10, Assuming the engine is COLD, it took about 90 minutes, but I took my time. Cleaned all the coil boots, cleaned the plug holes, etc. Use a 6-8" piece of stiff vacuum or fuel hose to fit over the plug contact and use that to thread the plug into the head, using finger torque and a rubber hose you won't be able to cross thread it. Then use a TINY ratchet to tighten the plugs. I ended up going to the dealership for a power balance test and to test the coils. They took all the plugs out and said that one was cracked. I assume they broke it, and offered to fix it for ridiculous $, I said no. Fixed it myself that way I know its done right.

I was told by my stealership that it would take less than an hour on a HOT engine. IMHO any dealership is a waste of time. Find a real mechanic who knows how cars work and enjoys what he does. Dealerships have one thing in mind, cash. The faster they work, the more they make. They don't care about your car.

If anyone tells you they can change your plugs without it being a overnight stay they don't know what they are doing.

They wanted $1600+ for 10 Plugs and 10 Coils installed. I did for $33 Autozone and $154 eBay.