View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
mikeinganges
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xlt...- My frame is very solid; my van has very little rust considering it's age, which is typical of vehicles which are taken care of from this area (Coastal SW BC, Canada). Not only was one upper ball joint quite worn, but I believe that my upper control arm bushings are suspect; the rubber is very cracked and it looks like there may be some distortion. I remember there was a thread about how these bushings could look good, but when compressed by the vehicle's load, they distorted enough to throw out the camber. Mine don't look too good! Approximately 3mm. or an 1/8" spacing on the control arms is all I need to set my camber up .5 degrees to the positive to get +.2 degrees; collapsing bushings could be the difference. As well, there are quite a few shims to just attain the present -.3 camber setting, so the actual position of the complete control assemblies may be slightly too inboard. When they dropped the engine to rebuild it for the PO, I think they disturbed or didn't carefully reset the assemblies when they put the engine and crossmember back in from below. After I put in the new bushings, I'm going to shim/adjust for the desired setting of +.2 degrees for my front tires camber, then set the toe-in.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by mikeinganges; 09-21-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: clarification