View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
mikeinganges
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Khan... I'm using both Moog upper ball joints and upper control arm bushings. I don't want to replace these parts ( if at all ) soon, so I'm using top quality parts that will last or are reputed to do so. The originals (OEM) lasted 21 yrs. and 130K miles, so I'm expect to get around 5 yrs. and 50K - 60K miles out of the replacements.

Xlt... Actually, I didn't remove the whole assembly; I disconnected the control arms off the connecting arm and brackets, which stayed on the frame. Obviously for the bushings, I'm going to take the whole assembly off of the vehicle, for easier removal/replacement.

I've noticed that the new bushings have a ridge on the body, which should limit the amount I can press them into the connecting arm support bracket. If the spacing of the brackets are slightly different fore/aft, but I center the assembly as close as possible to the original position on that fore/aft line, wouldn't the final positioning of the control arm (and resulting caster setting) be very close.

The main reason I'm doing this work is to r/r worn/suspect suspension and steering parts, which have resulted in premature inner wear on the front tires and some minor front end vibration. The driver side ball joint was quite worn, and I've noticed an immediate improvement. I'm working towards getting the front tire camber spec. to +.2 degrees, where my present spec. is approx. -.3 degrees (the lower limit) on both sides. Once I finish the work, I will get an accurate front end alignment.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by mikeinganges; 09-21-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarification