View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 05:42 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alphademin,

Theoretical median Track width is 61" (aka 5' - 1") C to C. That will vary, of course, depending on OEM wheel & tire combination
or aftermarket wheel/ tire combo the truck runs.

Anything can be done with anything with enough resources thrown at it. In order to do this chassis swap upgrade on a pre 64 F series FoMoCo you will have to mess around relocating your body mount outriggers on the later frame in a couple locations. I know for a fact the front cab Mounts, and radiator support core locations & type, are way off. I would assume the bed mounting bolt holes are also off.

Additionally, although I have not tried this retro-upgrade for several reasons such as those above, I can also forsee that swinging that whole body mass around, from one chassis to another, could be a rogue of an operation. It has to be close to a ton or so of weight!

In order to get a better visual concept of some of subtle body differences between 64 & earlier or 65 & 66 bodies, check out the sticky Krosati has kindly posted atop of forum on 61 - 66 F Series body difference comparison, by clicking on the link in my 1st post.

So what I'm saying is this "transplant" type upgrade can be done
with anything. But the point of this thread is just how somple it is to do with the 65 & 66 F series Bodies, or at least more so with 65-6s than with others.

A friend of mine put a 66 Rolls Royce sedan on a 4X4 Ch******t pick up chassis, not my 1st choice of swaps, but point is, anything is possible, virtually, with the right resources.

65 & 66, or for that matter any F series between 65 & 79 can be interchanged by the average guy with some wrenches, skills & abilities, minimal equipment, and a decent place to work. Once out of those 65-79 parameters the task gets more complex. For example doing a 61 SWB Integral bed is going to require some rivet cutting, outrigger & bracket relocation, front core support mount engineering & fabrication, probably some cutting & welding
along with die grinding and so forth.

It will also require trial fitting, as will any 61-64 standard cab & body, since they are slightly different than 65 & 66s are. Trial fits with cab & doors is one thing. Although somewhere around 1/2 a ton in weight, it's not as heavy or bulky like an integral bed body is. They require different types of equipment & technique to "lift & swing". However, I would like to do one, & video it for that form of reference I mentioned above.

I don't mean to discourage you from doing this sensible upgrade to your 61 Integral Bed, aka "Uni". All I'm trying to do is suggest you check into it thoroughly, do your homework & research, take time generate a "plan" & itnierary B4 you start twisting wrenches & taking stuff apart.

Be sure you know what you're getting into and understand you may/ will run into glitches you'll have to remedy along the way. I would like to execute one of these early Integral Bed body onto a later twin I beam chassis swap myself just to gain knowledge & experience of having done one myself.

In fact, my oldest son & I have been discussing making a series or "set" of videos on "Slick 60s Trux". We are talking along lines of retro fitting chassis, engine & powertrain upgrades/ swaps, top chopping, bedside alterations, Power Disc Brakes, Power/Strg & Suspension Upgrades. He has a degree in & teaches courses in Film & Video Production, TV Production & Broadcasting.

I'm in no position to do another project right now at this time. I would however, like to include upgrading these earlier Solid axle, 4 leaf sprung, F Series trux, including Integrals. So a "Library" of Custom Upgrades & Retrofitting both in Motion Graphic & Text format seems a good idea to me. We'll just have to see how it goes along here.

Also here's a tip for anyone who has gone from column shift to floor shift. Steering column "mast Jacket" & mounting bracket [to dash board] used in any F Series that came with a "granny 4 spd" has a very clean, set up. There is no lever or shifter tube!

All you need is a "mast Jacket" [outer tube of steering column] from same year/production series F, or P series cab as truck you have. For example mast jacket from 61-4 F350 that came OEM w/ 4 gear granny replaces mast jacket in 61- 64s, bolt in! Same goes for 65-6s and for that matter, for all F series from 61 through 79.

FBp