View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM
IvelDesigns
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '63 Unibody Project - Engine ideas

First off, I've never built a Ford before, and have done very little with Ford engines. So I could use some guidance on what are pros/cons of different setups.

A year or so ago I picked up a solid '63 Unibody, and I've finally hauled it to my house and am starting to build a plan for it. I've got a good idea on what I plan to do paint wise (thinking gun smoke grey above the body line, and black below) and will probably make some changes to the ride height, but I'm up in the air on what to do for an engine/tranny.

My first thought is go big. I've got a line on a 460 with 30k on a rebuild that I can get for almost nothing. I'll probably have to have it gone through again (sat outside for about a year), but I'd keep it fairly mild.

Another idea is to go the 4.6 route, but I've never done much with them. I assume they need the ECM and all of that fun stuff? Is there a good kit to use here?

Whatever I end up going with, I'd like to be able to find an aftermarket motor mount kit. I could fab it myself, but honestly, in the little bit of research I've done, spending $100 on a kit seems a lot simpler and smarter than fabbing my own.

With this project, I don't intend to keep it for long. I've got a '52 Hudson Hornet that I'd like to get started on, but am lacking the cash to do so. My goal with this is to build a solid, reliable truck and sell it. I plan to go through the entire thing, new brake system, new wiring harness, etc, but the engine option is where I'm scratching my head.

So anyways, that's it. What would you do? Got another suggestion?