View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Will P.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I did today!

Here is how I changed the radius arm bushings on my 1972 F350 2wd truck. It should be similar to all other F series trucks. Now the way I did it worked but it might not be the best way. I tried to be a safe as I could while doing this and you should too.

Here is what the radius arm bushings looked like before I got started.
Driver's side.

Passenger's side.

I started out by jacking the truck up enough on the driver's side to get a jack stand under the frame. Make sure the truck is high enough that you can get the axle pivot bolt out of the passenger's side I beam. I then began to take the axle pivot bolt out of the passenger's side I beam.

Next I removed the carter pin from the radius arm and then removed the castle nut.

I used a strap to pull the I beam assembly forward so that the radius arm would come out of the pocket on the frame. This may not be the best or safest way to do this but it is all I had to work with.

Once I got it started I used another strap around the frame and the radius arm to catch the radius arm when it popped out.

Now I removed the old bushing and cleaned up the end of the radius arm.

I test fitted the new washer and the greased the radius arm and the new bushing and then re-inserted the radius arm into the pocket on the frame. This would have been a lot easier with help. I used the straps and a jack to get it all back together.

Next the other side of the bushing is greased and placed on the radius arm followed by the washer.

I then started the castle nut but didn't tighten it all the way down. Next I used a jack to get the I beam back into position and with the help of a spud bar I realigned the bolt hole and got the axle pivot bolt back in and the nut started. I then lowered the truck to the ground and tightened the castle nut and re-installed the carter pin. Finally I tightened up the axle pivot bolt.

Here is what the old bushings looked like out of the truck.

The driver's side is the same process but it was just a bit harder to do. I should have removed the shocks also but I was trying to save a little time. It worked out ok on the passenger's side but I ended up bending the shock on the driver's side. I hope this helps someone else.